Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Good Ole' Pekin High School

Today was my first day back at Pekin! It was wonderful! It felt so good to be back. I shocked the Kaylas and Christen. Kayla Lemon almost knocked me over. It was great.

Since I have take the classes that match up to what I took in Eureka to get credit for the whole semester I didn't get to pick my classes or be in German :( Next semester though.

Here is my schedule:

1st hour- Graphic Communications (Mr. Huey)
2nd hour- Keyboarding (Mr. Taylor)
3rd hour- Contemporary English (Mrs. Gross)
4th hour- P.E (Mrs. Bodily)
5th hour - Psychology (Mrs. Kahl)
6th hour- Practical English (Mrs. Vogt)

I have keyboarding with Charles! How cool is that?! I have P.E with Shay. How weird is it that I have two classes with freshmen? ;) I also have psychology with Kayla Lemons and Calvin! And, I have lunch with Christen!! Yay! The sad thing is that I don't have anything with Andrea or Kayla Geeseman. But next semester I will because I am going to take German.

I loved how everyone except those who I hang out with just thought I have been here all year. It was great because I hate being pointed out when you are new.

I started in the middle of the semester so I have lots of homework. I have to take finals on material I don't know too. I don't care though. I am just glad to be back at Pekin. Besides I like a challenge. I am going to pull it off and with good grades too.

2 comments:

Curtis Donnohue said...

Mister Huey... wow.

It all began my Junior Year. I took Graphic Communication. I thought I would learn something new- I did. It just took a while to get there. I had no real experience with Mac or with Adobe Photoshop. Early on though, we were drilled hotkeys and spent for what felt like eternity on things I already knew. It was frustrating having to sit and wait for the class to catch up to me.

Eventually it turned around though- there were two second year students in the class (Seniors who had taken the class as juniors and elected to come back for more) who convinced me to stick it out. I did for two semesters and when the time to grab my senior classes came- I took it again.

As a second year student I was with Mister Huey for first and second hour- along with a few of my friends (Josh "I'm a Rock" Berardi and Dustin "I Was Supposed to Have Graduated in 1995" Belcher). Not to brag but we were exceptional. Mister Huey actually stopped a class to make them come and watch my technique with colour swatches. It was awesome.

We began to notice however... it felt like he didn't really know what was going on. In hindsight, we realized we had been taught the good stuff by his second years from the year before... and now he had us all but teaching the first-years. That was about when we all realized that Mister Huey didn't actually know anything except photography and how to manage a business (and fly a plane and drive expensive cars whilst showing off his white chest hair). Sure, he was an impressive man and a nice guy... but it seemed to us that he didn't know what he was teaching half the time and that's where we came in.

Fast-forward to last March. He's been hired as the photographer for my cousin's wedding- which I'm in because I don't know how to say no to people. He seems genuinely happy to see me. He's got us lining up. "Brandon, can you move in... Derek, back up a step... Alan, that's good- stay where you are..." Most of these guys he has never met before. Then he gets to me and he begins to laugh. "It's funny... I can remember projects you did... I can picture what you looked like seven years ago... What's your name?"

He must have blanked on my name about seven more times that day.

Just about everyone at the wedding, Carolyn, Dave, Gramma, Courtney... anyone involved or who just happened to be there was ready to kill him. They found him to be a smug, unhappy little man who treats people like they were idiots.

Anyway, you'll love working with him! :-p

Mrs. Kristy Rowell said...

Heyya Blair,
Glad to read that you will be able to continue on your credits from Eureka. What a wonderful answer to prayer! It's a raining and dreary day today. So much so that I can hardly keep my eyes open and it's only 3:20p.m.
Maybe you and some of the girls can come over for Christmas break?!?!
Mr. Mike has to work all Saturday's in December. Which really stinks. So we won't be able to come visit everyone.
God knows. All I can do is trust him.
This is your last year in High School!! As if you don't know :P Even though you have lots to catch up on, remember to capture the time with your friends. Enjoy your last year of school. God knows what your future holds, but for the present He wants for you to be a Senior in High School now. One last time to be a witness to your friends or new friends. What a great opportunity!!
Rmember:
"Delight thyself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of thine heart."
Sometimes it's hard waiting for something, but while you wait God is standing there with you.
~Your not alone~
LYL and lots!